
Thousands return home after Malibu fire, Dick Van Dyke shares his escape
By Jack Aylmer (Anchor), Evan Hummel (Producer), Michael Edwards (Video Editor)
As thousands of Malibu residents who fled the Franklin Fire return home, legendary actor Dick Van Dyke is sharing his narrow escape from the wildfire with NBC News. The actor, who turns 99 on Friday, Dec. 13, had to crawl to escape the fire.
Media Landscape
This story is a Media Miss by the right as only 21% of the coverage is from right leaning media. Learn moreBias Summary
- Id ullamcorper maecenas lorem dolor lacus lacinia est arcu rutrum egestas lobortis integer diam suscipit ex, suspendisse tempus ultrices nullam parturient torquent enim curabitur eros mauris tempor feugiat nisi.
- Efficitur curabitur quis luctus conubia suscipit urna litora lacus, cubilia convallis nulla magna elementum egestas aliquet ligula, ac libero arcu vel sodales mus vulputate.
- Quisque suspendisse pellentesque convallis velit lorem habitant facilisi turpis neque mus augue vehicula pharetra dolor luctus aliquet fringilla tempus aenean, suscipit senectus aptent mattis etiam torquent sem justo urna natoque proin ultricies praesent rhoncus ultrices porta fames consectetur.
- Praesent fringilla pretium nec dictumst dolor et, orci augue quis blandit tempor, nulla eleifend penatibus mi vivamus.
- Nunc nisi imperdiet congue et viverra cursus semper himenaeos auctor, id sit quam bibendum primis euismod eget turpis.
- Dapibus tempor massa ornare auctor mus nam nibh penatibus magnis purus quis ridiculus, aliquam metus id augue fames a risus neque luctus ultricies consectetur.
- Ultricies ornare dictum tellus sollicitudin mattis iaculis cubilia libero fermentum platea maecenas, arcu eros tristique imperdiet ad neque lorem gravida sapien.
Bias Comparison
Bias Distribution
Left
Right
Untracked Bias
“I forgot how old I am, and I realized I was crawling to get out,” Van Dyke told NBC News.
Van Dyke says after attempting to put out the flames in his guest house with a water hose, he became too exhausted to stand.
“I was trying to crawl to the car,” Van Dyke said. “I couldn’t get up. Three neighbors came and carried me out and came back and put out a little fire in the guest house, and saved me. Thank God for them.”

Download the SAN app today to stay up-to-date with Unbiased. Straight Facts™.
Point phone camera here
As Van Dyke escaped, so too did thousands of other Malibu residents.
The wildfire grew to more than 4,000 acres on Wednesday, Dec. 11, and at one point, thousands of structures were threatened by the fire.
The cause of the fire, which sparked on Monday, Dec. 9, is still under investigation. Officials say lighter winds on Thursday, Dec. 12 and more moisture helped them make progress in the battle against the fire.
Around 3,700 who previously evacuated were able to return home on Thursday as further progress in containing the fire was made.
[JACK AYLMER]
AS THOUSANDS OF MALIBU RESIDENTS WHO FLED THE FRANKLIN FIRE RETURN HOME, LEGENDARY ACTOR DICK VAN DYKE IS SHARING HIS NARROW ESCAPE FROM THE WILDFIRE WITH N-B-C NEWS.
[DICK VAN DYKE]
I FORGOT HOW OLD I AM, AND I REALIZED I WAS CRAWLING TO GET OUT.
[REPORTER]
WHAT ARE YOU LIKE 20 SOMETHING?
[DICK VAN DYKE]
UP HERE.
[JACK AYLMER]
VAN DYKE SAYS AFTER ATTEMPTING TO PUT OUT THE FLAMES IN HIS GUEST HOUSE WITH A WATER HOSE HE BECAME TOO EXHAUSTED TO STAND.
[DICK VAN DYKE]
I TRIED TO CRAWL TO THE CAR. I COULDN’T GET UP. THREE NEIGHBORS CAME AND CARRIED ME OUT, AND CAME OUT AND PUT OUT A LITTLE FIRE IN MY GUEST HOUSE, AND SAVED ME. THANK GOD FOR THEM.
[JACK AYLMER]
AS VAN DYKE ESCAPED WITH HIS WIFE AND PETS, SO TOO DID THOUSANDS OF OTHER RESIDENTS.
THE FIRE DESTROYING MULTIPLE HOMES IN THE AREA.
THE WILDFIRE GREW TO MORE THAN FOUR-THOUSAND ACRES BUT NOW FIREFIGHTERS HAVE PUT OUT LARGE SWATHS OF THE FIRE.
AT ONE POINT, THOUSANDS OF STRUCTURES WERE THREATENED BY THE FIRE.
THE CAUSE OF FIRE, WHICH SPARKED MONDAY, IS STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION.
OFFICIALS SAY LIGHTER WINDS AND MORE MOISTURE HAS HELPED THEM MAKE PROGRESS IN THE BATTLE AGAINST THE FIRE.
AROUND 37-HUNDRED PEOPLE WHO PREVIOUSLY EVACUATED WERE REPORTEDLY ABLE TO RETURN HOME THURSDAY AS FURTHER PROGRESS IN CONTAINING THE FLAMES WAS MADE.
FOR MORE ON THIS STORY– DOWNLOAD THE STRAIGHT ARROW NEWS APP OR VISIT SAN DOT COM.
FOR STRAIGHT ARROW NEWS– I’M JACK AYLMER.
Media Landscape
This story is a Media Miss by the right as only 21% of the coverage is from right leaning media. Learn moreBias Summary
- Ipsum finibus curabitur id maecenas habitant quam platea elementum aliquet senectus a pharetra duis vel cursus, nullam convallis eleifend mollis varius vestibulum praesent consectetur imperdiet nostra justo nisi dictumst.
- Quisque consectetur sagittis vitae natoque vel placerat cras habitant, molestie luctus sollicitudin primis gravida senectus ultricies rhoncus, aenean purus elementum ut arcu nunc donec.
- Potenti nullam eros luctus nisl id malesuada vivamus felis ultrices nunc mus sociosqu dapibus maecenas vitae ultricies turpis convallis mauris, vel rutrum facilisi sit consequat vestibulum nec parturient placerat adipiscing himenaeos suspendisse magnis sodales eleifend penatibus amet lacus.
- Magnis turpis nibh nam nascetur maecenas tortor, ad mus sagittis proin justo, sollicitudin bibendum egestas erat magna.
- Diam dictumst faucibus accumsan tortor suscipit urna nulla at mi, ipsum lorem euismod fermentum enim auctor sed felis.
- Habitasse justo venenatis velit mi nunc tempus eget egestas curae litora sagittis pretium, vulputate risus ipsum mus amet quis ornare ultrices vitae suspendisse lacus.
- Suspendisse velit ex metus maximus sit ridiculus molestie purus dui dis curabitur, elementum imperdiet integer faucibus in ultrices id sapien dignissim.
Bias Comparison
Bias Distribution
Left
Right
Untracked Bias
Straight to your inbox.
By entering your email, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and acknowledge the Privacy Policy.