
Campaign music dustup: Isaac Hayes’ family sues, Celine Dion speaks out
By Jack Aylmer (Anchor), Brock Koller (Senior Producer), Jake Maslo (Editor)
Former President Donald Trump’s recent rally in Montana attracted thousands of supporters as the Republican nominee looks to hit the right note with voters ahead of Election Day. However, Trump and his campaign are striking the wrong chord with some thanks to the music that was played at the event.
Media Landscape
This story is a Media Miss by the right as only 8% of the coverage is from right leaning media. Learn moreBias Summary
- Etiam nullam velit maximus quisque lectus imperdiet dictumst facilisi pharetra, ultricies pretium litora hendrerit faucibus lobortis at vehicula duis maecenas, turpis aenean senectus mauris suspendisse est eu a.
- Ullamcorper convallis orci phasellus aliquam class erat aliquet est netus potenti suspendisse per metus, cursus platea posuere tortor volutpat ac nam morbi ultrices mus viverra accumsan.
- Scelerisque mus consectetur dapibus ipsum egestas commodo magnis blandit penatibus ad, sodales at mi hendrerit sem et nisi suscipit platea.
- Luctus fames himenaeos nostra tortor massa praesent convallis rutrum facilisi est pellentesque nisi senectus auctor sollicitudin nascetur odio ultrices rhoncus velit venenatis cubilia etiam bibendum lacus mi id lorem congue molestie tellus curabitur.
- Auctor leo iaculis augue convallis purus blandit morbi ad dis rhoncus lectus eros viverra, sit nibh a imperdiet tempor gravida metus in ornare placerat accumsan.
- Eleifend volutpat parturient proin praesent scelerisque nunc arcu habitant sit rutrum, pulvinar in aliquam commodo mus felis fringilla ullamcorper.
- Egestas porttitor pellentesque nisi senectus maecenas ridiculus, lorem tempor hendrerit dolor urna.
Bias Comparison
Bias Distribution
Left
Right
One of those not singing the praises of the former president is Celine Dion. Her performance of her Academy Award-winning song “My Heart Will Go On” could be seen on the rally’s video screen Friday night, Aug. 9.

Download the SAN app today to stay up-to-date with Unbiased. Straight Facts™.
Point phone camera here
Dion’s management team said the song was not authorized and posted a message to social media the following day.
“Today, Celine Dion’s management team and her record label, Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc., became aware of the unauthorized usage of the video, recording, musical performance, and likeness of Celine Dion singing “My Heart Will Go On” at a Donald Trump / JD Vance campaign rally in Montana,” the team said. “In no way is this use authorized, and Celine Dion does not endorse this or any similar use. …And really, THAT song?”
Around the same time, the family of the late R&B singer Isaac Hayes also took to social media after Trump used the song “Hold On, I’m Coming” to close out the same rally, as he did at last month’s Republican National Convention. The song was written by Hayes for the duo Sam & Dave.
His family released a notice of copyright infringement demanding that the Trump campaign cease playing the song and others by Hayes; remove all Trump-related videos featuring the song, issue an official statement that the family did not give permission to play the song and pay $3 million for the unauthorized use by Friday, Aug. 16.
Unbiased news.
Directly to your inbox. Free!
Learn more about our emails. Unsubscribe anytime.
By entering your email, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and acknowledge the Privacy Policy.
Hayes’ family claims to have found 134 instances of copyright infringement between 2022 and 2024. Hayes’ son, Isaac Hayes III, posted a video to social media to respond to those questioning his family’s rights to the song.
“The copyright to ‘Hold On, I’m Coming’ expired March 15, 2022. It returned to our family on that date,” Hayes III said. “So we are the ones who own the copyright to ‘Hold On, I’m Coming.’ Think about that. Typically, in these situations, it goes a little differently because they are publishing companies involved and everybody wants to remain neutral. But I don’t have to act like that. I don’t have to follow those rules.”
These are just the latest artists to request Trump to stop using their work at his political rallies, joining the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Adele and the Beatles.
With all that said, some musicians are singing a different tune and backing the former president.
Last month, during a concert in Utah, rapper Waka Flocka Flame told Biden supporters in attendance to leave and gave a shoutout to Trump. Singer Kid Rock performed at the Republican National Convention getting attendees to chant along “fight!” shortly before Trump’s address.
The Trump campaign has not issued a response to the requests by Celine Dion’s management or Isaac Hayes’ family.
Trump is scheduled to hold another campaign event on Wednesday, Aug. 14, in North Carolina. While many will be listening to what the former president has to say, some well-known names will be listening to the music and hoping it’s not theirs.
[JACK AYLMER]
FORMER PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP’S RECENT RALLY IN MONTANA ATTRACTED THOUSANDS OF SUPPORTERS AS THE REPUBLICAN NOMINEE LOOKS TO HIT THE RIGHT NOTE WITH VOTERS AHEAD OF ELECTION DAY.
BUT TRUMP AND HIS CAMPAIGN ARE STRIKING THE WRONG CHORD WITH SOME THANKS TO THE MUSIC THAT WAS PLAYED AT THE EVENT.
ONE OF THOSE NOT SINGING THE PRAISES OF THE FORMER PRESIDENT — CELINE DIONE.
HER PERFORMANCE OF HER ACADEMY AWARD-WINNING SONG — “MY HEART WILL GO ON” — COULD BE SEEN ON THE RALLY’S VIDEO SCREEN FRIDAY NIGHT.
DION’S MANAGEMENT TEAM SAYING THE SONG WAS NOT AUTHORIZED – POSTING TO SOCIAL MEDIA THE DAY AFTER:
“Today, Celine Dion’s management team and her record label, Sony Music Entertainment Canada became aware of the unauthorized usage of the video, recording, musical performance, and likeness of Celine Dion singing “My Heart Will Go On” at a Donald Trump / JD Vance campaign rally in Montana.
In no way is this use authorized, and Celine Dion does not endorse this or any similar use. …And really, THAT song?”
AROUND THE SAME TIME – THE FAMILY OF THE LATE R&B SINGER ISAAC HAYES ALSO TOOK TO SOCIAL MEDIA AFTER TRUMP USED THE SONG “HOLD ON, I’M COMING” TO CLOSE OUT THE SAME RALLY — AS HE DID AT LAST MONTH’S REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION.
THE SONG WAS WRITTEN BY HAYES FOR THE DUO SAM AND DAVE.
HIS FAMILY RELEASED A NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT – DEMANDING BY AUGUST 16TH THAT THE TRUMP CAMPAIGN CEASE PLAYING THE SONG AND OTHERS BY HAYES—REMOVE ALL TRUMP-RELATED VIDEOS FEATURING THE SONG — ISSUE AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT THAT THE FAMILY DID NOT GIVE PERMISSION TO PLAY THE SONG —AND PAY 3 MILLION DOLLARS FOR THE UNAUTHORIZED USE.
HAYES’ FAMILY SAYING THEY FOUND 134 INSTANCES OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT BETWEEN 2022 AND 2024.
HAYES’ SON POSTED A VIDEO TO SOCIAL MEDIA TO RESPOND TO THOSE QUESTIONING HIS FAMILY’S RIGHTS TO THE SONG.
ISAAC HAYES III | SON OF R&B SINGER ISAAC HAYES
“The copyright to ‘Hold On, I’m Coming’ expired March 15, 2022. It returned to our family on that date. “
“So we are the ones who own the copyright to Hold On, I’m Coming.’ Think about that. Typically, in these situations, it goes a little differently because ther are publishing companies involved and everybody wants to remain neutral. But I don’t have to act like that. I don’t have to follow those rules.”
[ANCHOR]
THESE ARE JUST THE LATEST ARTISTS TO REQUEST TRUMP TO STOP USING THEIR WORK AT HIS POLITICAL RALLIES – JOINING THE LIKES OF BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, ADELE, AND THE BEATLES.
WITH ALL THAT SAID – THERE ARE MUSICIANS WHO SING A DIFFERENT TUNE – AND BACK THE FORMER PRESIDENT.
LAST MONTH – DURING A CONCERT IN UTAH — RAPPER WAKA FLOCKA FLAME TOLD BIDEN SUPPORTERS TO LEAVE – AND GAVE A SHOUTOUT TO TRUMP.
AND SINGER KID ROCK PERFORMED AT THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION – GETTING ATTENDEES TO CHANT ALONG “FIGHT!” SHORTLY BEFORE TRUMP’S ADDRESS.
SO FAR THE TRUMP CAMPAIGN HAS NOT ISSUED A RESPONSE TO THE REQUESTS BY CELINE DION’S MANAGEMENT OR ISAAC HAYES’ FAMILY. TRUMP IS SCHEDULED TO HOLD ANOTHER CAMPAIGN EVENT ON WEDNESDAY IN NORTH CAROLINA.
WHILE MANY WILL BE LISTENING TO WHAT THE FORMER PRESIDENT HAS TO SAY – SOME WELL-KNOWN NAMES WILL BE LISTENING TO THE MUSIC AND HOPING IT’S NOT THEIRS.
YOU CAN FIND OUR LATEST ELECTION COVERAGE BY DOWNLOADING THE STRAIGHT ARROW NEWS APP AND VISITING SAN DOT COM.
Media Landscape
This story is a Media Miss by the right as only 8% of the coverage is from right leaning media. Learn moreBias Summary
- Commodo hac amet euismod aptent praesent curabitur senectus luctus nibh, quis felis convallis augue proin sit duis vivamus pretium erat, efficitur hendrerit urna laoreet torquent taciti tempus tortor.
- Elit risus litora enim accumsan sodales rutrum aenean taciti malesuada fermentum torquent nulla cubilia, ultrices gravida leo ad placerat mi porta sapien porttitor sagittis faucibus ut.
- Cursus sagittis lectus morbi nullam purus ante lobortis varius vitae molestie, nam duis volutpat augue magnis facilisis sociosqu adipiscing gravida.
- Ultricies ac nisi mollis ad quam eu risus facilisi luctus taciti inceptos sociosqu urna netus auctor dapibus primis porttitor tincidunt amet suscipit lacus commodo dictum neque volutpat turpis etiam est vestibulum feugiat cras.
- Netus fames consectetur nisl risus lorem varius sapien molestie venenatis tincidunt praesent fusce faucibus, maximus conubia tortor curabitur mattis class cubilia donec parturient blandit ut.
- Ex placerat mauris phasellus eu cursus odio dui magna maximus facilisi, tempor donec accumsan ante sagittis mus nascetur elit.
- Purus penatibus inceptos sociosqu urna erat lacinia, etiam mattis augue velit metus.
Bias Comparison
Bias Distribution
Left
Right
Straight to your inbox.
By entering your email, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and acknowledge the Privacy Policy.